The Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce and Tourist Bureau invites artists ages 18 and up to submit entry designs for the official 2016 Whooping Crane Festival T-Shirt. Now celebrating 20 years, the festival has grown immensely and the festival t-shirts are a favorite must have item for attendees. Please take the 20th into mind when designing your artwork!
• Friday, October 30, 2015 by 5:00 p.m. Mailed and hand delivered entries will be accepted at the Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce office located at 403 W. Cotter, Port Aransas, TX 78373.
Entry form appears at the bottom of this announcement.
• All entries must be submitted on a firm backing (e.g. foam core, mat board, canvas, wood).
• Entries must not be a copy of any previously published materials.
• Entries should reflect a theme relevant to the endangered Whooping Cranes and birds of the Coastal Bend.
• All entries must have a completed and signed entry form securely attached to the back.
• Multiple entries allowed. Entry form must accompany each work of art.
The Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce and its officers and agents are not responsible for loss or damage to entries, although reasonable care will be taken to ensure that all entries are safely handled.
The Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce reserves the right to reject any and all entries and to require minor design changes from the winner should the committee deem it necessary. The Chamber reserves the final design decisions regarding application of text/typographical elements.
• Maximum size – 12” x 12” (no 3D sculptures)
• “Whooping Crane Festival 2016” can be included in artwork, as well as “20th annual”.
• Designs must be created in: color markers, paint, color pencils, inks, or other medium other than charcoals and pastels as they may smudge.
• If the artwork is computer generated, the contest winner must provide an electronic file of the artwork in jpeg, hi-resolution format.
• Winner may be asked to participate in T-shirt signings during the Whooping Crane Festival Trade Show over the dates of February 26, February 27, and February 28, 2016.
The judges will be made up of a committee of at least three members. Judges will consider the following criteria:
• Skill, Creativity, Originality & Design that best captures the spirit of the Whooping Crane Festival.
• All Entries will be considered and judged based upon the aesthetic appeal of the artwork design.
• Non-winning entries that are not picked up by December 15, 2015, become the property of the Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce. Art work will not be mailed back to participants.
Winner will be notified by December 1, 2015
Winner will receive:
• $150.00 check
• Two Registrations to the Whooping Crane Festival
• Two complimentary T-shirts
• Recognition during the Festival
In exchange for the award, the winner relinquishes and assigns all rights to the design to the Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce. The Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce reserves the right to modify and adapt the winning design without further consent from or compensation to the winning artist. The original work will be owned by the Port Aransas Chamber of Commerce.
WHOOPING CRANE FESTIVAL 2016 T-Shirt Art Contest Entry Form
By signing this entry form, the entrant acknowledges that he or she has read the entire Whooping Crane Festival 2015 T-shirt Art Contest Information and agrees to the terms and conditions stated in this document. Please keep the information pages for your records and return this entry form portion with your entry.
Signature of Artist:____________________________________________________Date:________________
A lot of ink is spilled about the usual suspects when it comes to vacation rental destinations, or even top vacation spots in general. You hear about Florida, people won’t shut up about the South of France, and the picturesque but well-trod areas like Bali or Tuscany. What we’re offering is the ultimate list of up-and-comers, vacation rental destinations that you’ll want to visit very soon before they become completely overrun by everyone who finds out what we’re telling you right now – they are incredible.
We looked at the past 18 months of vacation rental reviews and the average score (1-5) for all our destinations, and we’ve singled out these 14 as the ones you should plan a trip to as soon as possible. Here’s the list of winners and a bit about why they deserve your attention.
Port Aransas, Texas - 4.42 avg score
The Gulf of Mexico buffers this relaxing city featuring 18 miles worth of sun-filled beaches. Port Aransas has become a fishing, beach, and resort village, with summer populations sometimes swelling to 60,000 or more. You’ll want to take advantage of the world-class boat excursions like sunset cruises, big game fishing and sailing lessons. A favorite local activity is beach bicycling where visitors rent large bikes for the sand - great exercise and a fun way to explore the area.
With temps over 80 from April through September, you’ll find yourself with plenty to do outdoors no matter when you visit. At Mustang Island State Park visitors can enjoy the beauty of the outdoors and some beach serenity. People of all ages will enjoy visiting the University of Texas Marine Science Institute where display tanks include sea horses, oysters, eels, and other ocean animals. It's free programs, Explorium and Wetlands Education Center offer an interesting and fun introduction for kids and adults alike to marine life in the Gulf of Mexico and around surrounding waters of Port Aransas. Visitors can enjoy on their own or take a guided tour every Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 10:00 am.
Must-try activity: The Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center features a raised boardwalk that makes it easy for visitors to stroll through the area and view a number of local bird species. The site has several viewing scopes, including one at the top of an observation tower for sweeping vistas and prime bird watching. Depending on the season, guests may also see alligators, butterflies, and native plants. Click here to read online at FlipKey.com
Fabulous FREE viewing area for wildlife! Did not see the alligators, but enjoyed watching the American coots and Great Blue Herons along with many other beautiful birds. Climbed the tower and tried out the free viewing scopes on the boardwalk.